Thursday, June 12, 2008
NEW BOOK IN VIETNAMESE:
HISTORY OF VIETNAMESE LITERATURE (FROM 1945 TO PRESENT)
4 vol, 2200pp. by Thu Thien Nguyen
Former Professor at the UNIVERSITY OF SAIGON, VIETNAM.
Professor Nguyen researched in ten years Vietnamese contemporary literature including the authors and their works in the North and the South of Vietnam before 1975, and in Vietnam today, especially the literature of Vietnamese boatpeople around the world after 1975.
These books refer to three hundred authors such as Nhat Linh, Ho Bieu Chanh, Xuan Dieu, Che Lan Vien, Ho Dzenh, Phan Khoi, Tran Dan, Quang Dung, Huu Loan, Hoang Cam, Le Dat, Nguyen Dang Thuc, Tran Hong Chau, Thanh Lang, Doan Quoc Sy, Nguyen Sa, Thanh Tam Tuyen, Nha Ca, To Thuy Yen, Xuan Vu, Phan Nhat Nam, Nguyen Huy Thiep, Vo Ky Dien, Vo Phuoc Hieu, Phan Ni Tan, Vu Thi Da Thao, Tra Lu, Duong Thu Huong, Nguyen Van Tran, Vu Thu Hien, Nguyen Chi Thien, Nguyen Ngoc Ngan.
Vietnamese comtemporary literature is very interesting. It has two chacterisics: romanticism and criticism.
1. Hữu Loan, Quang Dũng, Nguyên Sa, Phạm Thiên Thư, Cung Trầm Tưởng, Bùi Giáng, Tô Thùy Yên are famous for their love poems.
2. Phan Khôi, Trần Dần, Lê Ðạt, Hoàng Cầm, Văn Cao, Phùng Cung, Phùng Quán, Dương Thu Hương, Nguyễn Huy Thiệp, Nguyễn Văn Trấn, Nguyễn Chí Thiện, Nguyễn Mạnh Côn, Doãn Quốc Sĩ, Vũ Khắc Khoan, Nghiêm Xuân Hồng are the fighters for freedom in Vietnam.
There are four component themes in Vietnamese comtemporary literature:
1. Vietnam war : Xuân Vũ, Phan Nhật Nam, Nhã Ca, Lê Xuyên, Phan Lạc Tiếp focus on the Vietnam war.
2. Prisons in Vietnam: After 1975, Vietnamese officers and people of Republic of Vietnam are treated barbarously in Vietnam. Phan Lạc Phúc, Hà Thúc Sinh, Nhã Ca , Nguyễn Ngọc Ngạn, Vũ Thư Hiên, Nguyễn Chí Thiện describe the inhuman and horrible lives of people in the jails of Vietnam.
3. Reality in Vietnam: Chế Lan Viên, Hồ Dzếnh, Tô Hoài, Phùng Quán, Phùng Cung, Dương Thu Hương Nguyễn Chí Thiện, Nguyễn Văn Trấn, Doãn Quốc Sĩ, Nhã Ca, Nguyễn Mạnh Côn, Võ Phước Hiếu, Hiếu Ðệ Vĩnh Hảo revealed the bitter and miserable lives in Vietnam from 1945 to the present day.
4. Boat people: Võ Kÿ Ðiên, Ðặng Phùng Quân , Hàn Song Tường told us about the dangers they had experiened on the risky way to freedom.
Price: 4 volumes including postal fees
Canada $138 CAD
USA $123 USD.
Intenational $145 USD
Please send check or money order to recipient: Mrs. TUYET HONG NGUYEN
45 Inverkip Ave
Ottawa, ON, K1T 4B8, CANADA
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org